This will be a Sugar paste/Gum paste Teddy topper for a cake.
Ingredients and tools :
(I am so sorry I forgot to take photo for all the tools I am using but I will mentioned it during this tutorial)
- Knife (To cut the gumpaste)
- Food colouring Brown and black
- Toothpick/cocktail stick
- Gumpaste tool
- Tylo Glue
- Brushes (Drawing brushes ^_^)
- Icing Sugar (To dust your surface and finger avoiding from sticking)
I am using white gum paste. I need a brown colour for the teddy.
1. Tint Gum paste with brown colour (I am using Wilton food colouring. You can use any brand too). Knead well until the colour blend well on the Gum paste. (Knead = uli yer.. ^_^)
2. I need this much of Gum paste for my teddy body.. It's depends on how big your Teddy is k.
3. Shape the Gum paste to almost a pear shape.
4. Than just cut of a little bit on top of the smaller edge (For the head area) and put aside.
I will put the body in stand position.. Where the big part will be underneath. (I didn't take the photo for this.. ;-p)
Prepare a long sausage of a Gum paste..
Cut into 4 sizes.. 2 part for the legs and another 2 for the hands. So make sure the legs portion is bigger size ya.. *Wink*
8. Take the part for leg. Create a tear drop shape (Knead the Gum paste if getting dry). and
flatten underneath (As on photo no.8).
9. Than shape a little bit out to create the feet.
10. This are the shape that we trying to make.
11. And the feet palm.. ^_^.
Flatten the sharp edges of the leg, so we can stick it to the body after this (Refer photo No.18) This is what I mean by flatten the edges.. ^_^
12. Brush Tylo glue on the area where we going to place the leg.
13. Stick the 1st leg and do the same to the other.
14. Both legs done.. ^_^
15. Now put Tylo glue on hand area..
16. This is how I brush the Tylo glue.. Can you see the shining part?
17. Take the other 2 portion of Gum paste (For hands). Make a tear drop shape..
18. And flatten at the smaller edge (as on photo).. That it for the hand.
19. Stick both hands on the hand position.
20. Take a ball of Gum paste (Depends on how big the head you want). Using the brush stick, flatten a little bit on the eye area of the teddy face. We need to create the pout for the teddy ^_^.
21. Using the brush stick.. Make a hole on top of the head for the ears position later.
22. Using a piping nose (Design as on photo. I am using the large size of it bcoz My teddy quite big).
23. Create the shape of the Teddy mouth (Using half of the circle shape)
24. Create this shape..
25. For the middle line.. Use the back of the knife to create the line.
26. The result.. ^_^
27. For the eyes.. I will use the Gum paste tools to create a hole for eyes socket.
I am using this tools.. But if you don't have it, you can use the pointy edge of your smaller brush (Painting brush) to make the whole..
28. Take 2 tiny pieces of Gum paste, just nice for the ears and make a tear drop shape.
29. Always remember.. If you Gum paste start to become harder.. you can knead it 1st before shaping your Gum paste and if it become sticky, use the icing sugar to dust your finger tip or on your brush pointy edge. Next.. Press flat the tear drop.
30. Use the pointy edge of your brush to create a hole on the ears.. Just roll a little bit on the middle.. (The paint brush very handy right?? ^_^.. Make sure you buy them just for your Gum paste project only.. ;-p)
31. Press the end of the ears.. as on photo..
32. Brush Tylo glue on the ears hole..
33. Insert the ears in. you can use the brush pointy edge to help you to press the ears in. Do both ears the same.
34. For the eyes. Take tiny pieces of white Gum paste and shape into tear drop.
35. Brush Tylo glue on the eyes socket and insert the eyes. Use your finger tip to press it.
36. I make a small rice shape to put on top of the eyes shape.. Just some extra there.. ^_^..
37. Take a small dot of black colour Gum paste and paste it on the nose. Use the Tylo glue to stick. Take a black colour food colouring and just draw a black dot as the eyes using a toothpick/cocktail stick.
38. The result.. (I just poke some hole on the face to make it more real.. ^_^)
I am using using Black Wilton food colouring to draw the eyes. You can use any brand too.
We almost done.. place a cocktail stick on the head area (as on photo) for the head later.
At this point I will put a side the Teddy for a while to let it set little bit. let the body harden a bit (Around 20-30 minutes).
After 30 minutes.. Brush Tylo glue on the neck area.. and slowly position the head on. Press gentle, because the head is still soft and will out of shape sometimes. So be gentle.
And here are the result.. I Advised you to make your topper 3 days in advance before placing it on your cake. So it will completely dry and save to be display.. ^_^
I hope it's useful for you and enjoy!!
Credits to Aine2